+ Reply to Thread

What is your Dosha?

The central concept in Ayurveda is keeping the three Doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha in balance to prevent illness and preserve health. These Doshas are three different sides of one universal, all-pervading energy and make up a person's constitution.

Vata is made of wind and air, it is the movement priciple. If Tridosha was a car, Vata would be the wheels making the car mobile. Things that are dry, cold, windy, rough and raw have Vata qualities.

Pitta is made of fire and water; the energy principle. If Tridosha was a car, Pitta would be the combustion engine producing energy to keep the car going. Pitta is hot, oily, spicy and smooth.

Kapha is made of earth and water, it stands for the structure priciple. In our Tridosha car Kapha would be theframe that holds everything together. Everything watery, oily, cool, heavy and smooth has Kapha qualities.

In Ayurveda the Doshas are balanced by the priciple of opposites: every two Doshas have one quality in common and one in opposite.
    Vata & Pitta = light; opposite heavy Kapha
    Pitta & Kapha = oily; opposite dry Vata
    Kapha & Vata = cold; opposite hot Pitta

Since one key success factor of Ayurveda is its individual healing aspect, you need to get to know your personal mind-body-type to make Ayurveda work for you. The easiest but also least accurate way is doing a few online tests such as this one. These will give you an idea what your Doshas might be, but don't rely on them. The most important thing is observing yourself and the things that do you good or bad and what qualities they have and the times when you need certain things most. In Ayurveda there's no shortcut to understanding yourself, but the experience and the knowledge are extremely rewarding since you will learn to balance your life and prevent illness before it happens.

Have fun exploring yourself!

A-1,Gopur apartment, Kasar Falia, Opp.govt. Press, Kothi, Vadodara, Gujarat
    Blog Entries
    the ayurveda not attention on one symptom, but take it as a whole! Ayurveda balance the Doshas calls treatment. the panchakrma pulls out the excess doshas!

With regards,
    Thank you,
    Vaidyaraj Amrutbhai Prajapati

All treatments are avail here: Ayurvedyog Centre,
    A-1, Gopur apartment, Kasar falia, Opp. Govt. press, Kothi, Opp. SSG Madical collage, Vadodara. Gujarat. India. Pin: 390001.
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Web: www.ayurvedyog.com/
    Face book: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000028999027

Another great video of Felicia Tomasko from layoga health magazine talking about our unique ayurvedic constitution and doshas.

Enjoy!

Intro to Ayurveda Basics (Doshas)

Ayurvedic Practitioner Myra Lewin introduces Ayurveda basics. In this piece, she explains the Ayurvedic doshas (human constitution). She discusses the Ayurvedic interplay of the 5 elements (earth, wind, fire, water, ethers) and how they influence the 3 doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha).

I always recommend Deepak Chopra's "Perfect Health" as a very complete and accessible introduction to the principles and practice of Ayurveda. It also includes a test to determine your dosha(s), though personally I don't find these sorts of tests to be the most reliable way. I recommend getting a consult with a good Ayurvedic practitioner instead.

I have a very basic question that I can't seem to find an answer to... I am Vata but currently with excess Kapha. So do I use Vata balancing techniques, foods, aromas, gems, etc., or Kapha balancing techniques, etc.?? Thank you!!

Share Ayurveda Forum