Welcome to the Share Ayurveda forum

Collapse

This Ayurveda Forum was created for the purpose of sharing ayurvedic information and knowledge about Ayurveda, as well as discussing everything related to the ayurvedic lifestyle and holistic healing. We strongly recommend ayurvedic doctors and scholars from India and all over the world to write articles on our ayurvedic blogs area, ask or answer questions, share experiences and ultimately spread the word about this wonderful “Science of life” that is Ayurveda.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a cardio only workout, idea a best idea.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a cardio only workout, idea a best idea.

Well i am debating on a new workout regime, to help me loose 19 pounds. Until now i have been going to the fitness club regularly but worked out, different muscle but i am debating on only doing cardio for the next month or so. Is this a best idea switching to the cardio only? So i want to know all your opinions and suggestions so please share here.

Hi Eddie,

Let me start by saying I'm no expert on cardio exercise. However, a couple things come to mind about your plan of doing cardio to lose weight. The first is a reddit post I saw awhile ago about cardio not helping in weightloss. The second thing that comes to mind is that from my experience repetitive exercise, such as jogging, tends to hurt the body. In Yoga for instance, repetitive exercises are not the norm.

If you want an Ayurvedic solution to your problem the first thing you will want to look at is what is the real reason behind your weight gain? Is it due to emotional eating (requiring Vata solutions), or overeating (requiring Pitta solutions) or hormonal imbalances, slow metabolism, addiction to eating due to the digestive system not absorbing nutrients properly (requiring Kapha solutions).

To make a long story short, foods that have spicy, astringent, or bitter taste tend to reduce Kapha (which is also the most common problem with people who are overweight). Further, there are some herbs that you can incorporate in your diet which can help you lose weight. Off the top of my head I can remember guggul (1 gram 3 times a day) or shilajit (1/2 gram twice daily). If your issue is emotional eating then Brahmi can be used for calming the mind.

The above solution may not solve your problem completely, it is more of a starting point, but if you can solve the root of your problem it will be easier to maintain.

As for exercise wake up before dawn and do Surya Namaskar, yes I know that is easier said than done, but in the time between 3AM and 7AM Vata is influencing and between 7AM to 11AM Kapha is reigning, hence if you are looking to lose weight it is good idea to wake up early.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi I know a good book on ayervedic exercies call "body, mind & sport" is quite good....
      Also look into fasting for 1,2 days with veg/fruit juices, you can do it once a fortnight ? Have a look at intermediate fasting anyhow

Comment

Cardio is a wonderful workout idea that provides us fitness and great health benefits. Cardio is the only workout idea and its a best workout idea to do.
        Last edited by MarkHerry; 07-06-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Weight training is one of the most underutilized components of fitness by women and it is absolutely critical to incorporate into your routine. If you rely on cardio alone, you will lose muscle mass, which will therefore slow your metabolism and leave you flabby. Cardio cannot supply you with the resistance your muscles require to stay strong and appear toned and you will end up doing a disservice to yourself by avoiding it. I have been a personal trainer for six years and have seen women's bodies transformed through weight loss and weight training. Yes, cardio is essential but strength training is just as important. And no, you will not get bulky.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please type the 2 missing letters: "s _ _re Ayurveda"

Working...
          X