I'm looking for an Ashwaganda alternative to help with the relief of anxiety and depression, and for overall adrenal health. I'm a 36-y/o female.

My research on herbal treatments for adrenal health led me to a wealth of information and rave reviews about the positive effects of Ashwaganda; however, after three months of taking it twice daily as recommended, I am discontinuing it – but not because it didn't live up to the hype in the realm of stress management, anxiety and depression (because it did). Rather, i am discontinuing it because I have not experienced hormonal acne of this magnitude since high school!

Here's what I didn't fully realize in my research: Ashwaganda boosts testosterone. For men, this seems to often be the goal; but, as a female with a history of PCOS/elevated androgens, this added boost is not ideal. Additionally, I have two autoimmune conditions – Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and Celiac Disease – and Ashwaganda seems to disrupt both, causing elevations in my heart rate and body temperature (sweaty!) and digestive issues.

Is there an alternative? I'm looking for the brain-boosting, mood-lifting, immunity-building properties of Ashwaganda without the testosterone elevation.

Any advice is much appreciated!